A concise blog reporting on articles of importance to the future of human and social development.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tired of this connection.

Ever since I moved into this apartment, I've gotten my internet connection through a DSL provider called Speakeasy. Their customer service is awesome, and the price quite reasonable what with me being so far out of their usual service area.

The problem I have, though, is the actual connection. It's quite stable, but I'm only getting up to 1.5 down /.386 up. I wanted to get a faster line from them, but I'm too far from the local CO to get any better DSL. So I started having a look at my options.

Cable. Seems like a good upgrade, since my apartment is already wired. But the only provider that serves the area is Comcast. The monthly charge for a 3.0/1.5 connection is fair, but there's no way I'm going to pay roughly $130 in startup and installation fees when the wiring is already there.

As for fiber optics, there's two choices on the market. AT&T's U-Verse, and Verizon FiOS. Verizon's got the better service, 20/20 for $70 a month. and I'd be willing to pay the fees to get a fiber line that quick installed. Too bad it's not availible in Houston. Every other metropolitan area in Texas, but not Houston.

Which leaves AT&T. They can give up to 10/1.5, and that'd be alright with me. But according to FCC regulations, I'd have to cancel my current DSL subscription and wait a week before I could actually sign for a new ISP. When did that happen? I can't go withoout a connection for a week.

I guess I'll wait another six months, hope Obama gets elected, and that his plan to improve the poor state of the American telecommunications industry works.

No comments: